Faith Friday: Stuck In The Past


For todays Faith Friday post I'm going to get a little bit more personal (but not too much). Something that has been speaking to my heart lately is being defined by your past. I think we can all recall a time period in our lives where we couldn't seem to move forward. A time where what you may have done, thought or said previously, held you back in chains. The worst bit about it is when it bothers you to the point where you become annoyed with God. Been there, done that, trust me! But I wanted today to be a reminder for anyone who reads this that your past is in the past. None of it matters.

I've said this before in another post, the past is gone each second -- it's that quick. Yes, there are time periods that are further behind in time, making them in the distant past, but always remember that each second you go from past, to present, to future. The most important thing is to make the present count, make your future be filled with God's hope and your past be a learning experience, but NOT an impediment to other two.

This past year was a difficult one for me. I was so stuck on what had happened in the past that it was becoming an obstacle that grew more with each passing day. As a worshipper in my church community, I was unable to do what God had made me to do. I didn't touch the piano for months. My disinterest grew to such a level that I started blaming God for the events that led to my current state. Why did this person say this to me, what am I even doing in a worship team, can I just quit already?! It was tough, for lack of a more comprehensive word. I knew that nothing I did would allow me to change the past but it still bothered me, a lot. With the help of my family and new people that entered into my life, I began to change my perspective. I knew that I learned a lot from the hurtful experiences I went through and that I wasn't defined by those things or the person I had become. On a particular day I decided to start fresh, to forgive myself, forgive those that hurt me and move on! That expression "Let go and let God" couldn't be more fitting. 

This concept isn't just for rough times as a person involved in worship. It extends to anything in your life that is in your past that you have chosen to define yourself in the present. But, that's the best part about God. It doesn't matter how many times you "fail", He is welcoming you with open arms and not judging you for who you were, but seeing you in an eternal perspective. He knows all of what makes you, you! He is well aware of every move you've made that you dislike yourself for, but He also knows your potential and who He has made you to be! There is nothing you could do to make Him love you any less, simple as that. The process may be long before you start feeling okay with your past but that's alright. In a world where everything is given to you at microwave speed, it's nice to know you can walk with Christ every step of the way until you break the chains binding you and are set free. 

Here's a verse that encompasses everything I've just said (or written?):

" Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert" 
- Isaiah 43:18-19

I just love that, what a promise! He can transform the impossible into the possible and make things new again. If He can make rivers in the desert, just imagine what He can do with the broken pieces that are within you. He is an artist, a Creator, a transformer and He's waiting for you to be His next project. Make the decision to leave your past in the past, and trust the Lord to pull you through this time. 

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and are excited to Christmas!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Content. © Glorious Peonies | A Lifestyle And Beauty Blog . Blog Template All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.