Faith Friday: Hearing God Speak


I thought for today I'd shed some light on the issue of hearing God speak to you...  For the past year or two I struggled with truly knowing if I'd ever had God really speak to me. In my head I'd always imagined it as a roaring voice coming out of nowhere like the times you read in the Bible when God spoke to people like Moses. Since that had never happened to me I just assumed, well I guess I'll keep waiting until I hear something. But after talking to different people and praying about it, I came to realization that God doesn't have to be an audible voice that you hear, He can communicate with you through random thoughts that pop in your head, or artistic things like music. The main point is that God communicates with different people in different ways and If there's something I've had to learn it's that your relationship with God is unique and specific to you. You can't go around comparing everything you share with the Lord with your friends because everyone is on a different level. Some are just acquaintances and others see God as their absolute best friend, in which case the way that God will speak to them will vary according to their intimacy with Him. 

A few months ago I was getting ready to leave the house and all of a sudden I got this idea that sprung up unexpectedly. I was just doing my makeup but I got this word in my head and I decided to run to my rom and jot it down on a piece of paper. At the time it really didn't mean anything to me. I had written down that since the Bible is God's own words, He is literally speaking to us every single time we open the Bible and that there was a huge difference between reading and meditating on the word. I folded up the piece of paper and placed it into my desk drawer. I'd completely forgotten about it and kept going on with life thinking, well I guess I'll still have to wait for God to speak to me. About a month or two ago I was having a really tough day and had spent over two hours on the phone with a friend crying it out. Suddenly I felt the urge to go to my desk drawer and find the piece of paper that I'd written that little message on. As I read the words that I'd written down I instantly burst into tears. There were specific parts in there that basically tore through my soul and alleviated any pain I felt. It was all so surreal, I couldn't believe what was happening. That's when I realized that God had in fact spoken to me but it wasn't in the way I'd expected it. 

I'm constantly amazed by the way in which God works. He is so creative and knows exactly what will resonate with me depending on the situation. Before recognizing that God speaks in different ways I felt like I was missing a big part of my spiritual life; as if I was stuck in this elementary stage while everyone else was about to graduate from university. But it was through this experience that I learned to be quiet. How can you expect God to speak to you if your brain is constantly wandering where it shouldn't and it's filled with chaotic noises?! Sometimes hearing Him means shutting up for a bit. Imagine Him thinking, "Wow, I've been trying to have a conversation with her but she won't stop moving and ignoring me!"Find your quiet place, the secret place where you can connect with God the most. That may be in a room where it's dead silent, or when you immerse yourself in worship with Him. Whatever it may be, just know that sooner or later you'll understand the way in which you hear Him the clearest and trust me, it'll change your relationship with Him for the best! 

Wishing you a very peaceful and happy last weekend of 2013! 

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog, and I absolutely love your Faith Friday series. Can't wait to read more
    -MayaCorbyn
    corbynandcotheblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maya! I'm so happy you're enjoying Faith Friday :)

      Delete

Blog Content. © Glorious Peonies | A Lifestyle And Beauty Blog . Blog Template All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.