The Best Eyeshadow Primer For Oily Lids?

This week looks like it's gearing up to be quite eye makeup focused but I'm really getting into trying to make peace with eyeshadows. We haven't had a great relationship for the past few years so I thought I'd come to terms with it and find ways to work around my fear of looking like a clown. 

When it comes to applying eyeshadow, not only are the application techniques important but how you prep your lids is often half the battle. You can be the queen of blending shadows but if it takes two hours to have your eyeshadow land on your cheeks... well, then we have a problem on our hands. For the past two years I've been using the Urban Decay Primer Potion and it did an okay job - definitely better than no primer at all - but I felt like there had to be a better option out there. One of my biggest concerns with taking the time to apply my eyeshadow in the morning was the fact that it would crease up horribly in a few hours and that's just not a good look. It brought back horrific memories of a 13 year old me wearing a sparkly pink eyeshadow stick by Rimmel and going home at the end of the day only to notice that my greasy eyelids had done their magic and gathered up a pink mess within the creases of my eyes- oh dear. I literally cringe. 

I did a ton of research (as one does when you've got 20 options for the same product) and the decision was made unanimous - NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base was the one to get. I mean, the reviews on Sephora were making this seem like a miracle worker and at $29 I was hoping it would be! Let's just get to the point - this. stuff. rocks. my. world. 

As you can see, the doe-foot applicator makes the job really easy - just swipe on a small amount on your lid and then take your finger and spread it from lash line to brow bone. The formula itself is very creamy and smooth, as well as being quite thin. This is a colourless primer, unlike the Urban Decay option, and is great if you want to put this on and not have eyeshade on top and just throw on some liquid liner. That being said, there is a very small little problem with this. Although it will look white when you first swipe it from the tube, it is invisible as you smooth it out and it can be hard to know what spots you covered well and which parts you may have missed. But, if you can take the extra second or two to ensure you've covered your entire eyelid, this stuff will really works its magic.

It lives up to its claims: extends the wear of your shadow, doesn't feel heavy, and is provides a smooth surface that will allow all the colours you put on top to be vibrant! This has really been my security blanket when I do decide to wear eyeshadow because I know that I won't be reliving my teenage horror stories. I don't experience any smudging or creasing with my shadows and it helps my eye look last all day! One thing that really bugs me, about all NARS products in general, is the packaging. Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely beautiful and sleek and the kind of thing you wouldn't mind applying in public - but  apparently they love to matte matte black packaging that leaves evidence that your foundation smeared hands have been there recently. This might not bother some people, but it completely annoyed me that touching it once left fingerprints (as shown in the picture above). But if you're not as ridiculous as I am, this primer will serve you well and make the extra 5-10 minutes where you do your eye makeup worth your while. Oily eye lids will be no match for this guy!

Have you tried this primer? Does it trump the rest of the primers you've tried?

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried primer but I really want to! The pictures are really good - nice quality!
    laurenroseprep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must, it makes a huge difference in terms of longevity! Aww so sweet, I try my best with my photos. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete

Blog Content. © Glorious Peonies | A Lifestyle And Beauty Blog . Blog Template All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.