It Is Well With My Soul



Let's start with an apology about the sporadic nature of my posts this past week. After three exams and minimal sleep, I was beyond exhausted so I definitely needed to take a break and sleep my days away, but posts are back to every weekday so not to worry! 

Since I missed this past Faith Friday, I thought I'd catch up with something I've been thinking about the past few days. It's a regular thing for me to wake up in the middle of the night, or not be able to fall asleep at all, so I listen to worship music and take it as time with the Lord. A lot of the time that unrest you feel can be Him nudging you to seek Him more and really press in. I've already mentioned this but I've been loving Bethel Music new album and I've been listening to "It Is Well" nonstop. Through the stress of exams and just life in general, I really needed to just focus on God and know that through everything, He is still good and it is well. 

Because I'm a total nerd, I thought I'd look into the origins of the lyrics to that song and I found a story that was incredibly moving. The song is based on the life of a man who was successful, had a wife, 4 daughters and a son, and who was committed to God. In the span of a few years though, he lost his youngest son, lost all of his property to the Great Chicago Fire, and then lost his four daughters to a ship drowning. Anyone looking at this from the outside would think he had good reason to lose hope, but on his journey to meet with his wife, who had survived the accident, he penned the famous words "When sorrow like sea billows roll, it is well, it is well with my soul." What an example right? It reminds me of Job. He lost everything but he never wavered from his faith. 

The attitude that comes with believing that "it is well" is one that doesn't focus on the struggles, but hopes for a brighter future. Knowing that your eyes are on Him and nothing can separate you from the love of Christ. But I think it's also important to let go of fear and know that it is also well when you receive the good that God has for you. After enduring struggles, it can become difficult to accept that God will still bless you. A friend of mine was praying with me and it was such a shock when she prayed, "God, let her realize that it is also well that you've blessed her!" I never thought I was rejecting the good, but fear can do that sometimes. If it's well with your soul, let your soul be open and joyful to everything God hands you, both the good and the bad - not letting fear get in the way! 

God's plan for you may not be a smooth road, in fact you'll probably choose to make it bumpier sometimes. But know that His will is "good, pleasing and perfect" (Romans 12:2) We spend so much time questioning, when really we should be taking it as it comes, learning to deal with what's next!

I hope you all have an incredible week - and be on the lookout for some pretty cool things coming in the next few weeks! 

"Let go, my soul and trust in Him. The waves and wind still know His name"

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I must say prayer with a friend is so awesome! Hehe ;) but I seriously love this!! And that background story to "It Is Well" is wow wow. Taking it has it comes an saying it is well with my soul! What a lesson and aspiration :)
    -Diana C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caught the reference, huh? ;) I was so touched by that story, so incredible! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete

Blog Content. © Glorious Peonies | A Lifestyle And Beauty Blog . Blog Template All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.