Silky Amaretti Cheesecake

When learning to bake there's always that recipe that seems too hard for an amateur. You may only be following instructions but the anxiety of messing up a classic dish is still there. That for me was cheesecake. I'd heard so many horror stories about how difficult it was to perfect and get it right that I never even attempted it -- until I found the perfect recipe with a good enough twist to it that I couldn't resist taking the plunge and trying my hand at it.
I followed Laura Vitale's recipe and made a few little alterations.

Serves 8 to 10
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hrs

Ingredients:
For the Base:
2 cups of Amaretti Cookie Crumbs (about 8oz of cookies)
2 Tbsp of Sugar
1/4 cup of Melted Butter

Filling:
2 8oz Packages of Cream Cheese
2 8oz Containers of Mascarpone
1 cup of Granulated Sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla Paste or Vanilla extract
1/4 cup of Amaretto Liqueur
4 Eggs
3 Tbsp of Flour
1/2 tsp of Salt

For the Topping:
1 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Tbsp of Powdered Sugar
¼ tsp of Almond Extract
¼ cup of Toasted Almonds
 I didn't have Amaretto Liqueur or almond extract so I omitted them but I found that the almond flavour was subtly still there because of the almond cookies used for the crust. I have to say that this recipe make for a delicious, silky smooth cheesecake. Sometimes I find that cheesecake can be a little too rich but the incorporation of mascarpone with the cream cheese made for a light texture that made all the difference. I'm definitely guilty of having eaten far too many slices of this (who could blame me?) and everyone who tried it said that it was great. 

Next time though I'll definitely have to look up tricks to avoid having my cheesecake crack at the top while cooling down. That is probably the biggest sign of a good cheesecake but overall I think I did a pretty good job for my first try. Plus the whipped cream definitely hid any evidence of mistakes I made!

Give this recipe a try and tell me what you think? Are there any recipes that you're scared of trying?
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Content. © Glorious Peonies | A Lifestyle And Beauty Blog . Blog Template All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.