Thanksgiving (a few days late.....)

This past Monday was Thanksgiving which is one of my favourite holidays! Why? I love spending a day with family and friends and just being thankful for everything that happened in the past year. But, the other reason I love it so much is because of the FOOD! I love getting to cook and bake for Thanksgiving (since I'm the only one willing to follow new recipes in my household). Before I impress you with my baking skills (haha) I will say that I can only make the things I make because of Martha Stewart. Ever since last year, I've been obsessed with their site whenever I have the chance to cook and I've found some great Thanksgiving recipes that I continue to use every year.

I realize that these recipes are obviously a little late for Canadians to make Thanksgiving dinner, but don't fret! You can use these recipes for Christmas dinner too and Thanksgiving in the States is not for another month ;) -- a little early prepping never hurt anyone, right?

This year, I decided to make their Roast Turkey with Herb Butter, which is delicious and super easy to make. For sides I made their recipe for Perfect Mashed Potatoes and an easily thrown together tomato and cucumber salad, and for dessert (my fave) I made Pecan Pie and Apple Pie. I had one of my best friends over and she said everything was delis, and since she's a huge foodie, you can take her word for it!

TIPS: The pecan pie recipe calls for 3 cups of pecans but that's way too many for the amount of filling so stick with around 2 cups and a few more. If you want the pie to slice more easily, try chopping up half of the pecans and decorating just the top with the pecan halves -- I may need to take my own advice on this one for next time! This recipe doesn't say to pre-bake the crust but I would definitely encourage you to that way the bottom crust doesn't get soggy. Bake the bottom pie crust with aluminum foil filled with dried beans (so it doesn't get random air bubbles all over) for about 10-15 minutes and them put the filling in and bake for the remaining time or until the pie is slightly jiggly in the centre. Don't worry it firms up as it cools. Then you'll have the perfect pie!

Here are some pictures of the result of my hard labour! (btw, the biscuits are Pillsbury - I didn't have time to make my own rolls for Thanksgiving this year #lazygirlprobz)

Can you tell I love tomatoes?
Can I get an AMEN!!!!
Sorry, had to dig in ;)
After my friend had reached food coma status! LOL

Now, I'd like to introduce you to the man in my life.......
My five month old Bichonpoo puppy, CHARLIE. Isn't he the cutest?!
We ended the night playing with Charlie and showing off his new skill of playing fetch. We got some great pictures!

 This long hair of his definitely makes him look like Max from the Little Mermaid, don't ya think?
Oh happy day, tomorrow's Friday! Enjoy the weekend xo 

Glorious Peonies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Content. © Glorious Peonies | A Lifestyle And Beauty Blog . Blog Template All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.